tax-accountant-ct

You’ve filed your taxes and now you eagerly wait for your refund to arrive. You begin to wait and wonder if the refund is on its way, or if something has gone wrong. So where exactly is your tax return?

How Do I Check My Refund?
Once a tax return has been officially filed, information regarding it will become available online in roughly 24 hours. You can view the status of your return by heading to the official website of the IRS and clicking the “Where’s My Refund” option. This online service is refreshed every 24 hours with updates regarding your refund.

When Will It Be Delivered?
Over 90 percent of refunds are delivered within the average 21-day window. However, the other 10 percent of refunds are held up due to multiple reasons. There could be incorrect information on the return, inaccurate withholdings, or even someone trying to commit identity theft. Don’t always assume that something has gone completely wrong with your return. Sometimes there can be a small mistake that can easily be corrected or the IRS just needs a few more days, especially in late March and April.

When Should I Do Something?
If your return is taking longer than 21 days then you may want to contact the IRS directly. Wait a few days after the three-week mark, then call the IRS to see if anything needs to be cleared up or corrected. This way you will be able to know for sure if something has gone wrong or not.

Now that you know a little more about the delivery of your tax refund, you can feel reassured each year when you finish filing. If you haven’t finished filing your taxes this year, or you need IRS representation, contact the accountants at Berkow, Schechter & Company LLP. To learn more, or to schedule an appointment, give us a call at (203) 356-1061.

Don’t forget to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+!